Settling In                                                       
My first few weeks in Guatemala.
February 2018

After months of preparing, an overwhelming and exciting week long orientation at International Justice Mission headquarters in Washington DC, and an overnight flight with a four hour layover in the Mexico City airport I finally made it to Guatemala City. Sleep deprived and running on adrenaline I made my way through the airport praying that Courtney would still be there after my hour delay in Mexico. With all of my bags in hand we made our way to my new home for the next year. Two days later I made my way to the office and would leave that day exhausted, knowing the importance of security here, and feeling overwhelmed by the warm welcome from my team. 


In the past three weeks I have had the pleasure of working on several projects and getting to know my System Reform teammates. The office is working to improve the trial success rate for children who have been victims of sexual assault through our bill "Justicia Pronta" that will be going into its final vote on the congress floor this Tuesday! We are also working on a project called "Mi Historia Importa" which allows adult victims to share their stories and gives them access to aftercare therapy. The System Reform team is also working on trainings with judges and police officers that will further empower them to better help protect kids. I was able to spend a day interacting with our clients during our Day of Joy where we went to the children's museum to play with the kids! 

I have had the opportunity to find a kind and supportive church here in the city that is a part of the Acts 29 network and have been helping out with a small group of boys from the church that have all grown up in one of the most dangerous zones in the city. We have been talking about sin and repentance with them and how sin effects our lives. 

I have always been a person who has struggled with anxiety and doubts about God's plan for my life and my capability to be a vessel for his kingdom. These first few weeks in Guatemala have not necessarily eased those anxieties, but God has made it clear that my life is in his hands and my work done through my year here is through his power. It is hard for me to feel limited due to language in an office of the organization that pushed me into my career path, but I know that we have a powerful God and the work of the office is in his hands! And it is evident from working in the office for under a month that God is working in big ways in this country!

Prayer Requests:
  • Prayers for the passing of our bill Justicia Pronta! It will help to move cases of children who have been victims of sexual assault through the system at a faster rate.
  • Prayers as we gather more information for evaluation of the changes in the Guatemalan justice system and culturally regarding sexual assault of minors.
  • Prayers for my capacity to to both understand and communicate in Spanish, but also to learn a new legal system.
  • Prayers for my transition into a team that has never had an intern before and that I can function smoothly as a part of the team.
Thank you so much for reading this update! 

If you would like to support me and this office in protecting children from horrendous abuses then my support raising website is www.continuetogive.com/sarahijm. Thanks again!

Comments

Popular Posts