Becoming Chapin
Two Months in Guatemala
March 2018


Today marks two whole months that I have been working in the International Justice 
Mission (IJM) Field Office here in Guatemala. We are currently in Holy week here and  therefore get a few days off to relax watch (and get blocked by) processions, and to  recognize the sacrifice that God made in order to save us sinners. However, that is not to  sa that the short work week was not a busy one, but I will get to that later.
  
March has been an eventful, growing, and exciting month for our office with both soaring highs and deep lows. At the start of the month I had the immense opportunity to go to 
Coban, a town that is 6 hours away from the capital, to help lead two trainings for church leaders in the Alta Verapaz region of Guatemala. This district had the second highest 
incidence rate of childhood sexual assault in 2017, making these trainings for the 
community and church leaders crucial. We were able to demonstrate how to talk to 
children about sensitive issues and what the telltale signs of sexual abuse are. Given the 
importance of church leaders in Coban children are likely to come to them with sensitive 
information regarding their lives or families and these trainings gave them the tools to 
address those situations. 

After one day of rest and work in the office, I went on another trip, this time with my  System Reform team, to Coatepeque and Xela in the district of Quetzaltenango. This trip was to take an inventory of the supplies and oversee the final touches of the new Sexual  Violence Unit Police offices that have now officially been opened for use. We are hoping  that by improving the once horrendous working conditions for these police officers that  we can pull in more of the best officers to be working on thestypes of cases. When the  office first started in 2005 here in Guatemala there were only 4 officers who specialized in  sexual assault and rape crimes in the entire country, now there are more than 160 officers in the country who specialize in these crimes. 

This Monday we were able to pull together an inauguration event with over 300 people  including the chief of police and ambassador to the United States. Thanks to the hard work  of the System Reform team we were able to open these new offices in a way that showcased  the importance of the police force focusing on protecting children from these horrific  abuses. It is an honor to be able to be a part of this team that is working to shift the tide of  impunity for these perpetrators and find systemic justice for these victims along with  protecting the   children of this country.


As for the deep lows March has been a month of struggle in all things regarding our bill  "Justicia Pronta". Satan has been campaigning hard in order to twist the perceived purpose ofthe bill to the NGO community and we now find ourselves in a stalled position with the bill so prayer warriors are much needed in this area. 

March has also been a season of sickness for me. I have been dealing with a hurting stomachthat is still giving me problems even after going to the doctor two weeks  ago.  I am takingthe medicine he recommended and am hoping that I am on the mend. However, prayer for  energy and healing would be very much appreciated. 

After two months in this country I have found close friendships and had wonderfully fun times, but those have not stopped the, somewhat infrequent, bouts of loneliness that come with leaving close communities behind. I am not always good at self-assessment or reflection, but I pray that in these lonely times that Jesus is drawing me closer to him and forcing reliance on his power instead of my stubborn will. I am learning that even if the community of brothers and sisters in Christ surrounding me seems to constantly be changing the God that brings us together is always steady and has plans we sometimes do not understand. This is a season of leaning on Jesus as he breaks down my stubborn pride and self-reliance and convinces me that peace in his mighty hand is what he wants from me. I am also learning that I am not always good at self-care and trying to find what that looks like for me in the stressful office environment we work in. 

Prayer Requests:


  • Prayer for a restoration of health, both for me and for the several people in my office who are struggling with medical issues
  • Prayer for Ley de Justicia Pronta that God will use it in his own time to help prevent  perpetrators from escaping the system
  • Prayer for the church leaders in Coban that God would use them as protectors of their  communities children
  • Praise for the growth of the SVU here and prayer for the continued transformation of  holding these cases in the upmost importance
  • Prayer for the solidification of an accountable Christian community here
  • Prayer for my further reliance on Jesus for my capabilities in the office
  • Lastly Prayer for the provision of still needed financial resources for my time here

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this update!

I still am in need of financial resources and I am only at about 65% of my original goal! So if you know anyone who would consider giving to help me continue doing this beautiful work  you can give them my contact information, sbrenden@ijm.org or sbrenden5@comcast.net,  or direct them to me fundraising page www.continuetogive.com/sarahijm or my blog page  sarahijm.blogspot.com

                       Thanks again and Happy Easter | Gracais y Feliz Día de Resurrección


He uncovers the deeps out of darkness
   and brings deep darkness to light. Job 12:22

Comments

Popular Posts